The future of mobility will be anchored by a number of technology trends. A lot of the buzz tends to be centered around the development of more electric and autonomous vehicles. But a deeper look reveals a number of other tech advancements poised to shape transportation down the road. Here are ten of the biggest:
1. Micro-Mobility: E-scooters, e-bikes, e-skateboards, etc. Micro-mobility will continue to grow and expand with better tech.
2. Urban Air Mobility: Next-gen transportation won’t be limited to new technology on the ground. Urban air mobility will play a role as well.
3. Enhanced EV Charging Stations: The development of more electric vehicles will spur a lot of new technology to expand the network of charging stations, with faster charging times.
4. Swappable Batteries: The future of EVs will also include the expansion of swappable battery technology.
5. Solar-Powered Vehicles: Solar-powered EVs will play a major role in the future of mobility as well. The self-charging technology is already being applied to growing variety of vehicles.
6. Expanded Ride-Hailing Programs: Lyft and Uber won’t be the only major ride-hailing services down the road. A number of other companies are already vying to establish their niche in the space, with plans to make self-driving vehicles the anchor of their fleets.
7. More On-Demand Transportation: The app-based technology that anchors services like Uber and Lyft will make its way into other modes of transportation.
8. 3D-Printed Electric Vehicles: The cost efficiency of 3D Printed EVs will help make the vehicles more practical, spurring an entirely new approach to smart mobility.
9. Expansion of 5G: Whether it’s enhancing the capabilities of connected vehicles or broadening the digital reach and in-vehicle entertainment offerings when traveling 5G technology will also help drive next-gen transportation.
10. Smart Cities: The integration of more connected technology throughout entire cities will play a pivotal role in the future of mobility.